I started this post a million and one times… OK maybe not *quite* that many but I feel like it was! I had so many questions going round in my head ..
Do my readers REALLY want to know about ALL the free books I got a hold of regardless of whether I actually read them this month?
Do I really want to show that I spent over £100 on books bearing in mind my blog is meant to be about reading on a budget? (in my defence I got a PPI repayment so I figure that spending a mere 5% of it on books is fair enough?)
Can I really be bothered to write out ALL of the books I got and link them to Goodreads?
And so on .. you get the picture!
I thought I would just give you the crib notes ..
Total Spent: £116.30
Number of Incoming Books: 128
Average cost per book: 90p
Number of Books I Read:
- 5* – The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee – My Review
- 5* – Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone by J K Rowling
- 4.5% – Conclave by Roger Harris
- 4* – Murder Games by James Patterson
- 4* – Cinder by Marissa Meyer
- 3.5* – Tripwire by Lee Child
- 3.5% – Strange Magic by Sid Moore
- 3.5% – Warcross by Marie Lu – My Review
- 2* – Saltwater Witch by Chris Howard (Graphic Novel)
- DNF – Killer Game by Kirsty McKay – My Review
As you will know, this is my first month of ‘getting back to reading’ and tracking what I am doing and it has made me thug really hard about my habits…
- I need to STOP grabbing books just because they’re free! I need to actually read the blurb (!!) but another step would be to check it out on GR too; I should say that I don’t discount books just because they have a slating from other people but reading other people’s reviews often cements my decisions!
- I need to start reading the books I get! This is a no-brainer really and has had me thinking about how to do this; one Idea I have is to do the ‘Try a Chapter’ thing – I can say to myself that I will do that with 2 books a day (or possibly more) to try and weed out the books I know I don’t want to continue with and those that are OK can remain on my TBR. I may make this into a monthly post or may just include it in my monthly stats post – watch this space.
- I need to start making sure that I am not buying the ‘nth‘ book in a series if I have not read, or at least got, the previous books. This is especially true of books I am buying physically as the space I have to keep these ‘coming up soon’ books is extremely limited!
- (This is immaterial really as now that the chunk of money I had is gone, I will not really have any more money for books until Christmas Day, but ..) I NEED TO STOP BUYING BOOKS AND READ THE ONES I HAVE.
So there we have it My first monthly roundup – there will be more to come and Aim sure that the format will change!
How did you do this month?